History

The Church from Bury New Road
The Besses United Reformed Church (formerly Besses Congregational Church) was opened for public worship on the evening of November 16th 1865.
On Saturday November 25th 1865 a grand popular opening took place in the form of a large public tea party in the schoolroom.
The buildings were designed by Mr Alfred Waterhouse, the architect who designed Manchester Town Hall, and built at a cost of £4500. The church was at the time known as a “Bicentenary Memorial Chapel”. This was a response to the bicentenary year of the Act of Uniformity.
The communicants of the church were at first under the care of the Rev Alexander Anderson B.A. the minister at Stand Independent Church which is our Mother Church.
In 1866 a seperate church was definately formed and a formal invitation was extended to Rev Osric Copland to establish the first ministry of Besses as a separate Church.